I had no idea where my lost super was or the names of the funds. I just new it was scattered everywhere and I should definitely have more than $3,000 in my super. Australian Super Finder found all 7 of my funds and now my balance is almost $50,000. Thank you so much for getting my super back on track. ? Leonie, Thomastown VIC

Super Facts and Tips

Superannuation for Temporary Residents

The payment is under a special withholding tax.

What information do you need?

If the super benefit is below $5,000 you will be required with the following:

Copy or equivalent evidence for your eligible Visa, acknowledging you as the holder of that VISA and that it is expired or cancelled; and

A copy of your passport is revealing that you have left Australia.

If the super benefit is $5000 and above, then a written statement from the DIAC or Department of Immigration and Citizenship will be required by your super fund. The statement must reveal that you are the owner of an eligible VISA that is expired or cancelled and has permanently left Australia.

What Happens to Your Benefit if You Don't Claim It?

The super benefit of a person who previously holds a temporary VISA will be classified as "unclaimed fund" under certain circumstances.

The ATO should be satisfied that an individual meets the following criteria:

• A person who formerly holds a temporary VISA contains a super interest in the Fund; and
• It has been six months since the person has not held the VISA and departed Australia; and
• The person doesn't have a VISA and isn't a citizen.

Once satisfied, the ATO will provide the fund with a notice confirming the validity of the information.
After receiving the notice, the Fund will then send a request information to the ATO. The information should contain the person's interest in the Fund and the amount that is payable to the person claiming the fund.

After giving the report and sending unclaimed money, the Fund's Trustees won't have any further responsibility for the benefit.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission or ASIC grants relief to super fund trustees offering an exit statement to temporary residents whose Super benefits were submitted to the ATO. The VISA Trustee relies on the relief and is not providing exit statements to temporary residents once their super benefits are transferred to the Australian Tax Office.

The good news is, you can still claim your super payments even after leaving Australia. But if you think the process is too complicated for you to follow, you can seek the assistance of our administrators at www.australiansuperfinder.com.au. You can schedule a free consultation by calling 1300 252 167

All information on this website is of a general nature only. We have not taken into account your financial situation, needs or objectives. You need to make up your own mind and ascertain yourself if it is right for you. We recommend you read the product disclosure statement(s) and the financial services guide before making any financial decision.

Loading PLease Wait..